Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Elephantgun

I saw Elephantgun at the unfortunate Treasure Coast Music Festival in Vero Beach, Florida, but they are a Melbourne, Florida ensemble.  Don't get me wrong.  Seeing Elephantgun was very fortunate.  Hearing them even more so.  They were playing on the North stage where people passed by from the entrance, pavilion or venders and while few stayed I think mostly for fear of impending weather or wishing to be elsewhere, it was amazing to see everyone stop and stare and listen.  These guys are truly fantastic!  While the flamboyant playing of bassist David Pastorius is often the attention grabber (follow the link to hear, but he really is a marvel to watch), Tom Van Dyke is no slouch on the drums nor does guitarist/vocalist Trevor Prince fail to enthrall.  Trevor is a powerful and intricate guitarist which is a striking contrast to his irreverent humor and casual presence as the groups frontman.  His vocal style is a gravelly alternative texture with a quick, concise hip-hop/rap style.  Don't be misled, though, this is definitely a solid rock trio.  They are contemporary but tip their hats in homage to some classic covers like CCR and Fleetwood Mac also.  The style is not similar I think, but I could not help but compare three such phenomenal musicians with Emerson, Lake and Palmer.  Just my age, I suppose, but to say I was impressed was an understatement.  I highly recommend, seeing, hearing and know this band as well as you are able.



No comments:

Post a Comment