Monday, April 25, 2011

Donnacha Dennehy, 'Grá Agus Bás'

When I read the review for Donnacha Dennehy's, 'Grá Agus Bás' I thought, "This sounds promising."  After listening I thought, "This sounds like crap."  To be fair, it is much louder than crap which generally just lies around being crappy.  I guess it is artistic expression and has its audience, but I'm not it.  When I started listening I couldn't decide if it was being chanted in indigenous American or some middle eastern dialect.  Perhaps culturally meaningful in some way, but not aesthetically pleasing to western ears.  Melody seemed a foreign concept and meaning seemed obscure.  Perhaps I didn't understand but certainly I did not wish to.  When I hear a disturbing noise, I may seek its source and meaning, but if I fail to do so and it merely continues to be annoying, I seek only to stop it, or, at least, stop listening to it.  The All Songs Considered reviewer might rejoice that it is not the stereotypical example that the term 'Irish Music' brings to one's mind.  I despair of it.  This is an example of what I was discussing previously.  Being different for difference's sake is no virtue.  Sins can be different also. 

No comments:

Post a Comment