Saturday, April 16, 2011

Mojo Medicine Band at Riverview Park in Sebastian, Florida, April 15, 2011

Well, I wasn't very certain I would be attending because of the rain we had in the afternoon, the threatening look of the sky and my lack of enthusiasm for this band based on samples and information garnered from their (?) MySpace page.  I put the question mark there because I had to go back and check right now.  Yup.  That's them...and the description is accurate "blues/jam band/rock", though I found the link to their website ineffectual except that I learned of a Mojo Medisin Band from Philly.  That is a three piece and I saw a five piece.  Besides the pictures match the former band.  Anyway the band on MySpace didn't sound bad, but not especially energetic and a bit modern country oriented, a genre for which I am unenthusiastic.  I wasn't especially keen to see them.  The band I'm glad I risked the weather for was a pleasant surprise.  This venue is a free, early (5:30-8pm) outdoor, mainly retiree crowd cut at least, in half by the threat of foul weather, so the band's enthusiasm (especially the vocalist/front man) was very impressive.  The music was classic rock, which is more to my taste.  Well-known yet obscure covers seemed a forté.  By that I mean well-known songs which I did not expect to see live, such as the Beatles' "Why Don't We Do It In The Road?", The Rolling Stones' "Brown Sugar" and the rousing finale,  Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love".  The lead vocalist was amazing.  The bass player and drummer may not have been adventurous, but MAN were they solid and proficient and air-tight.  I would have like more on the keys but he played well and was paying close attention to sheet music so I suspect there was a story there.  The guitarist was not at the top of his game, but is still very good, enthusiastic, powerful and fast.  I thought it was a great show especially for such a laid-back venue on a dreary, off season afternoon, so I just have to recommend these folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment