Sunday, April 17, 2011

Invasion of the Tree Frogs


I got to hear my Tree Frogs today!  No.  No croaking nor distasteful discharge involved.  The Tree Frogs are a duet, "resident baby-boomers" they call themselves, playing 1960's and 70's memories for the afternoon tourists at Captain Hiram's Sandbar here in Sebastian, Florida.  They say they have been doing so for five years now.  THAT'S a long set!  Their time together is very evident.  Their harmonies are very tight and lush perhaps most noticeable on some Everly Brothers and Beatles' tunes.  The fact that they did well-executed covers of "Love Me Do" and "And I Love Her"  made me suspect but when they did "Something" and announced it as a Harrison song that seemed to confirm that they are Beatles' fans (Hey!  Frank Sinatra didn't realize that when he covered it.)  Jonathan Edwards' "Sunshine" seems a current favorite of theirs and I'm certainly in favor of that, but my high point this afternoon was a creative cover of Tommy James' "Crimson and Clover".  This was a very pleasant afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment